Joining a Student Chapter is a wonderful and educational way to learn more about the industry and your chosen profession, while meeting other students and just having fun! Field trips to local rubber industry manufacturers, suppliers, labs and other various companies and the possibility of attending Rubber Division, ACS and Rubber Group meetings are also part of the excitement of joining a chapter.
Current Student Chapters
- Ferris State University, supported by the Michigan Rubber Group
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell, supported by the New England Rubber & Plastics Group
- The University of Akron, supported by the Ohio Rubber Group
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, supported by the Blue Ridge Rubber Group
- Brazilian Universities/ABTB-Brazilian Association of Rubber Technology Student Chapter
- Lodz University of Technology, Faculty of Chemistry Student Chapter in Poland
Benefits of Being a Rubber Division, ACS Student Chapter
- Complimentary Rubber Division, ACS Student Membership
- Complimentary registration to our technical meetings at our spring meeting and International Elastomer Conference
- Complimentary student chapters combined exhibit space at the expo during our International Elastomer Conference
- $500 travel reimbursement for the Student Chapter President
- $1,000 scholarship provided to each student chapter
- Opportunity for participation at the Student Colloquium (student presentations & posters) during our International Elastomer Conference; financial prizes are awarded
- Professional opportunities at the Career Fair during our International Elastomer Conference
- Resources available through local Rubber Groups
- Access to resources through the Rubber Division, ACS team & our website
- Rubber Division, ACS undergraduate scholarships – three awarded each year totaling $15,000
- Opportunities for networking and career development within our industry
- Company tours set up through Rubber Division, ACS
- Internships available at many companies throughout our industry
- Discounts on all training programs through Rubber Division, ACS
- Access to scholarship opportunities through local Rubber Groups
Next Steps to Make it Happen
- Investigate the steps needed to set up a new campus organization at your college or university. The procedures vary from campus to campus.
- Identify a Faculty Advisor and at least six student members.
- Create proposed Student Chapter bylaws.
- Submit a letter to the Rubber Division, ACS Student Affairs Committee requesting approval to establish your Student Chapter and include the proposed Student Chapter bylaws. The letter must be signed by the six student members and the Faculty Advisor. A motion will be forwarded by the Student Affairs Committee to the Rubber Division, ACS Executive Committee for approval.
- Vote-in a Student Chapter President and Board.
- An official Student Chapter plaque will be presented to your designated Student Chapter representative(s) at the next Rubber Division, ACS semi-annual meeting.
- Work with the local Rubber Group to participate in their meetings.
- Contact Heather Maimone, Training & Membership Director, at [email protected] to be assigned your exhibit space at the expo during our International Elastomer Conference.
- Work with Heather Maimone regarding assistance, scheduling tours of rubber companies, establishing scholarship procedures, etc.
Contact Heather Maimone, Training & Membership Director, at [email protected] for more information or to begin setting up a student chapter today!