Science & Technology Awards
Rubber Division, ACS annually honors the best of the best with the most prestigious awards in our industry – our Science & Technology Awards. Winners are honored at a banquet that takes place during our spring technical meeting and each winner gives a presentation in the afternoon technical session following the banquet. Our Science & Technology Awards include:
- Charles Goodyear Medal - Sponsored by Rubber Division, ACS
- Melvin Mooney Distinguished Technology Award - Sponsored by Lion Elastomers
- George Stafford Whitby Award for Distinguished Teaching & Research - Sponsored by Cabot Corporation
- Sparks-Thomas Award - Sponsored by ExxonMobil
- Chemistry of Thermoplastic Elastomers Award - Sponsored by the Ralph S. Graff Foundation
- Fernley H. Banbury Award - Sponsored by HF Mixing Group
Rubber Division, ACS has a Science & Technology Awards Committee, chaired by Dr. Maria Ellul, ExxonMobil Chemical Company. It consists of up to 12 members and includes the Committee Chair, Committee Vice Chair, the Division Chair, Editor of Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Division Executive Director, Division Science Librarian and six Division Members who are experts in rubber technology. A press release is sent out early each year asking for nominations. Nominations are due to the Executive Director no later than July 15th each year. The S&T Awards Committee members review all nominations. The committee then meets in August to discuss and select the recommended award winners. This is a lengthy and thorough process whereby nominees’ bios, publications, patents, awards, published work, nomination letter and support letters are discussed, as well as input from anyone on the committee who is familiar with the nominees’ work. The recommended award winners are then presented to the Executive Committee for final approval.
Currently seeking sponsorship of a new Biomaterial Award!
We are in the process of establishing a new Science & Technology Award titled “Biomaterial Award”. In order to complete this process, we are seeking a company that would like to become the sponsor of this award. Once established, the Science & Technology Awards Committee would solicit annual nominations and the award would be presented at Science & Technology Awards Banquets held during our Spring Technical Meetings. Sponsors have the opportunity to present the actual award at the banquet, as well as receive recognition for your company on our website, in Spring Technical Meeting and S&T Award Banquet materials and in the press release announcing the winners. Criteria for the award, as well as financial commitment follows:
- This award is to honor significant contributions to the advancement of biomaterials in the field of rubber science and technology.
- This award includes $3,000, an engraved plaque, and $500 for travel expenses incurred in attendance at the awards ceremony banquet.
- This award was established by Rubber Division, ACS as a part of its effort to recognize the contributions of scientists in the field of biotechnology and biomaterials as these relate to elastomers and rubbery materials.
- The recipient must have made an outstanding contribution to the understanding or utilization of biomaterials, including naturally derived elastomeric polymers and protein-based bioelastomers. This award is open and not restricted to Rubber Division, ACS membership.
Interested in becoming a sponsor of one of our Science & Technology Awards?
Contact our Marketing Manager, Gretchen Cermak, at email@example.com or 330-595-5540.